Sunday 11 October 2015

Great faith

"I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith." (Luke 7:9 NRSV Bible)

The centurion in our scripture reading today was a man of faith. He didn't feel worthy of Jesus' presence so he sends a message to Jesus, "Do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof... But say the word, and let my servant be healed
. . . ." Did you get that? "Just say the word, Lord, and my servant will be healed." When Jesus heard this, Luke tells us, he marveled at him, and said to the multitude that followed him, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith." And when those who had been sent returned to the centurion's house, they found the slave well.
A good man or woman of God will have faith in Jesus Christ. I remember a story of the new husband who looked at the results of his bride's first attempt at cooking breakfast and said glumly, "It isn't like Mom used to make."
Disappointed, she tried all the harder the next morning, producing a nicely cooked, attractive breakfast. He looked at it and muttered, "It just isn't like Mom used to make."
This went on for a number of mornings in succession. She would go to great lengths, sure she had created a tasty, well-prepared breakfast, only to be greeted with "It isn't like Mom used to make."
Finally she became so exasperated with his cruel comments that she decided to rebel. She deliberately fried the eggs until they were hard rubber, virtually cremated the bacon, burned the toast black, and overcooked the coffee until it was almost unfit to drink.
Her husband sat down at the table, looked at the food, and beamed, "Hey! Just like Mom used to make!"
People will always have different expectations of us who follow Jesus Christ, but just like the centurion, we must have faith in the one who has the greatest of all expectations.


Loving God, help my faith to grow, as I do all I can, with Jesus' help, to fulfill your great expectations. In Jesus name, Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment